Thursday, February 19, 2015

Tub Cleanup, Prep and Coat

This is an overdue post from September 2014's work.  Time to get back on this.  I have been distracted by a 4 wheel drive van we just bought for camping trips.  The warm winter here in SLC has me motivated to get this thing on the road for spring.  Time to get back on focus.

Being a Texas FJ40, the tub actually isn't in terrible shape.  There is very little rot in the floor pans. The only areas of concern are under the roll cage mounts where it looks like it trapped water and rotted out.

Time:  2 weekends working about 4 hours each day (16 hours total labor, roughly)

Tools and Materials used:
1 - cup wire wheel
1 - radial wire wheel
Angle Grinder
80 grit sand paper
MEK
1 quart KBS RustSeal, black
4 red Scotchbrite pads
4 spray cans KBS Fusion Self-Etching Primer
150 grit sandpaper
Monstaliner Black Bedliner


These photos are representative of the whole tub condition.




I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder to strip the rust, spray paint, and poorly adhered OEM paint.





I roughed this all up with 80grit paper.  I wiped it all down MEK twice.  Then I painted it all with 2 coats of KBS RustSeal.




After a few days of curing time I scuffed up the RustSeal with red ScotchBrite pads.


Then I sprayed two coats of KBS Fusion Self-Etching Primer.


I let this cure for a few more days before I scuffed all of this up with 150 grit sand paper in prep for the bed liner.  I used black two part Monstaliner to coat the tub.  It was pretty simple to use.  I found the one gallon kit on ebay at a discount.  The gallon coated the entire tub interior with two coats, and I put a third coat in high wear areas like the driver and passenger foot areas.

I am missing completed photos right now so I will update sometime in the future....




No comments:

Post a Comment